Cultural Heritage Tour
BAMENDA 4 DAYS, 3 NIGHTS
Day one (08.00 hrs)
Pick-up from your hotel in Douala or Yaounde by our driver and departure for the 5 to 6 hour drive per 4WD car to Bamenda. The trip takes you through beautiful countryside with huge banana, palm oil or pineapple plantations.Slowly the road winds up into the hills where you find coffee and tea plantations and later you enter the mountainous regions with dramatic views. On our way we stop to have a look at the waterfall of Ekom (80 m) or Metchie Waterfall. We continue the trip to Bafoussam a thriving provincial town in the Bamilike region. The Bamilike are a tribe famous for their organisation in “chefferies”, which are still historically and socially important n Cameroon. Famous are also their festivals with traditional dances in multicoloured dress with masks. The dances take place after weddings and especially after burials. On our way we visit the most classic of the chefferies in Bandjoun. In the afternoon we arrive in Bafoussam where we take lunch. Bafoussam is the 3rd city of Cameroon after Douala and Yaounde. After lunch continue to Bamenda where we will arrive around 18.00 hrs. Transfer to your hotel and dinner in Zwinkels Guest House. Our guide in Bamenda, will welcome you in his/her home town.
Breakfast at the guest house. Our guide will show you around in Bamenda the capital of the North West Region. In colonial times the city was formerly situated in the British part of Cameroon and hence still English speaking. Bamenda lies in a valley and is surrounded by mountains.Due to the altitude of 1240m Bamenda has a very pleasant climate. In and around Bamenda there is plenty to do for the tourist. Together with your guide you can arrange your own program. For lunch and dinner you can choose from one of the many restaurants along the main street of Bamenda or you can have dinner at the Zwinkels Guest House.
Breakfast in the guest house followed by the program of your choice. Lunch and dinner and overnight in your guet house.
Breakfast at the guest house at 08.00 hrs. Return by car to either Douala or Yaounde. Pic-nic lunch on the way. Around 16.00 hrs arrival in Douala or Yaounde.
Options for excursions in Bamenda
• Visit to the fon of Mankon and the Mankon Palace Museum
• Visit to the Fulani cattle market near Nkwen (on Thursday and Monday only)
• Visit to Bali, a traditional village 25 km from Bamenda with a big handicraft center. If possible visit to the Fon of Bali• Visit to the Prescraft Center and handicraft center in Bamenda
• Visit to the big market of Mankon
• Visit to Bafut (10 km from Bamenda) the capital of the Tikars. Visit the chiefdom and let yourself be taken around by one of the queens. Watch the traditional dances
• Visit to the handicapped center sponsored by the Dutch Liliane Fonds. The sisters are very happy to show you around.
• Visit the atelier of Mama. He will show you how traditional bronze pieces are made with the “lost wax”method
.• Horse riding in the hills around Bamenda
• Trekking in the hills around Bamenda
Of course this program can be extended to your liking
Price depending on number of participants
Please, contact us if you want more information.